For many truckers and motorcoach operators, long-distance driving is much more than just a job; it’s a lifestyle. Being a long-distance driver takes a certain set of skills and aptitudes, but it also takes a particular mindset — the right blend of experience, knowledge, awareness, and disposition.
Take this quiz to see if you might have what it takes to become a long-distance driver.
1. Choose the answer that best describes your attitude about long road trips.
2. When I’m behind the wheel for a long time:
3. Choose the answer that best reflects your take on fellow motorists who exhibit bad driving behaviors (e.g., tailgating, changing lanes without signaling, randomly speeding up and slowing down, and otherwise driving erratically).
4. Choose the response that best defines the interstate highway system.
5. Choose the one answer that describes you best.
Now, tally up your responses. Take note of how many times you chose (e) as your answer. If you’re at your best on long road trips [Question 1], feel alert and energized behind the wheel [Question 2], and feel at home on the open road [Question 3], you might enjoy long-distance driving. If, in addition, you are a safe, skilled, and defensive driver who doesn’t get overly stressed out by other motorists [Question 4], you may have the temperament it takes to drive professionally. We threw in Question 5 as sort of a trick question. How could one person possess all of the traits listed in (a) through (d)? Not many people do. But think about it: Long-distance drivers spend time alone (a) and with other people (b); they’re independent, “take charge” people (c) but also have to be willing to comply with myriad regulations (d).
Clearly, long-distance driving is not for everyone. But if you took the Long-Distance Driving Quiz and chose (e) more than two or three times — and if you honestly answered “all of the above” to Question 5 — you owe it to yourself to look into a career in long-distance motorcoach driving.
You may have found a way to earn a living ... and enjoy a great life.